Environmental or Pollution Liability Insurance
Environmental Liability Insurance or Pollution Liability Insurance as it’s commonly called is another specialty coverage form necessitated by exclusions and limitations found in the general liability and property insurance policy forms.
A variety of New York businesses need to consider environmental liability insurance to protect themselves from potential exposures that could arise from their operations or ownership of properties. Environmental coverage forms come in a variety of coverage forms to insure exposures at owned locations, non-owned locations, job sites, over the road, etc. for first party and third party exposures.
Common purchasers of environmental insurance include: Contractors, Property Owners, Developers, Consultants, Manufacturers, Waste Haulers, as well as other New York businesses that handle process materials that could be potentially hazardous.
What Are Potential Exposures for Businesses Not Handling Hazardous Materials?
It’s important to keep in mind that most general liability forms strictly exclude pollution liability exposures or add a small limits to their forms (for example $10,000), so purchasing stand along coverage is a must for those businesses with the potential exposure to pollution issues. What can be potential exposures for clients that aren’t in the business of handling hazardous materials?
There are plenty:
- Dry Cleaners due to the cleaning solvents;
- Contractors which may own their own above ground storage tanks for fuel;
- Trade Contractors where their work may result in mold creation;
- Manufacturers which may use hazardous materials in their manufacturing process, such as metal plating, or lubricants used in cutting and fabricating metals;
- Electronic Component Manufacturers which may use heavy metals in their assembly process;
- Pool stores which house large quantities of pool chemicals such as chlorine;
- Contractors who are in the business of abating or remediating pollutants such as asbestos and lead abatement, storage tank removal, dredging, septic and sewer cleaning;
- Energy related contractors, such as oilfield cleanup crews, frack/salt water haulers, bio-waste energy, etc.;
It’s important to keep in mind that Environmental or Pollution Liability coverage is written on a claims made form so continuity of coverage is critically important. In addition, the underwriting of coverage should begin BEFORE potential exposures arise as any conditions known to exist at the time of application must be disclosed and will typically be excluded, waived, or limited.
Meeting Environmental Pollution Liability Insurance Needs in New York
Since 1929, The Coyle Group has been serving New York businesses with New York Environmental Pollution Liability Insurance in the Rockland County communities of: New City, Nanuet, Haverstraw, Pearl River, Stony Point, Suffern, West Nyack, Congers, Valley Cottage, Nyack, Orangeburg, Blauvelt, Palisades, and Chestnut Ridge; the Orange County communities of: Goshen, Pine Bush, Middletown, Newburgh, New Windsor; the Westchester County communities of: White Plains, Yonkers, New Rochelle, Bedford, Elmsford. And in New York City – Manhattan, Bronx, and Brooklyn.
For more information about Environmental Impairment Insurance in New York, please feel free to contact us in New City by calling 845-634-3606.